Things of No Interest: Painting Descent - Augur Grisom
When you have a large collection of Descent expansions and figures, it can seem like a never ending project. This year, I'm setting monthly realistic painting goals. January turned out decently and knowing that February is both short and going to be busy for me, I kept the goals modest. I started the month doing a quick paint of some Reaper Bones figures for my son and his friend for a D&D game they started playing. Once done, I moved onto the figures I wanted to get done for Descent and elected to start in on a guy I wasn't very enthusiastic about painting - Augur Grisom.
For a long time, I was nearly exclusively a Citadel paint user. Generally speaking, yellows are pretty tough across nearly every brand of paint, but I've decided that the Citadel ones are really bad. Bad enough that I finally broke down and bought a different brand of yellow paint to try (P3) and I'm glad I did. This particular brand was the right consistency (thin) but still had decent coverage. I really only had to do about two layers to get the color I was hoping for on top of the tan basecoat.
As something of a side note, I have about a dozen different shades of brown paint and I think I primarily use about only three of them. Why? I'm lazy. What I've discovered is that I can paint nearly all of a figure's brown things with one or two shades of tan. Then I follow up that by using 3-4 different shades of wash/shade/ink (whatever you want to call it). The wash stains the tan and fills in the recesses, giving the figure some depth. Once I was done with the yellow, I went back over the areas that were to be brown and quickly covered them with a tan. I hit them all with a sepia wash. After that dried, I hit some of the areas that were darker in the artwork with an orange wash and for areas where a strap or whatever crossed another brown area, I hit those parts with a darker wash to differentiate the browns. I find that using this method is easier (washes just flow which is easier to get right) and more forgiving (excess tends to pool in areas that would be "shadowy" anyway) than trying to highlight every single brown with a different color. I also use a bit of pink wash mixed with some sepia to do his skin, which I think was just about perfect. I went back and used the orange just a touch on his nose and around the top of his beard to give hime that ruddy look he has in the original art.
I had to paint the book he has slung over his shoulder and the various bags on his belt. By the way, books and parchment are really easy - use some bone white color - I use Screaming Skull - and then use a touch of sepia wash on the edges to get that aged parchment look. The cover was just a random blue I picked and then a blue wash. Last thing was to paint his weapon and the little ring on his finger.
One last thing to note about my washing technique - I almost never go back and highlight the areas I've used a wash on. That is kind of next level detail that I don't feel like spending the effort on for tabletop game minis. If I was a competitive painter, I might, but I usually spend more time on painting a guy than I think I should, so I don't. For some monsters whose main detail is texture I will most definitely dry brush them to highlight and give extra depth to them, but I just don't (usually) have that in me for clothing.
And that's it. Augur Grisom is done. The first of four I plan to do for the month. See you next time!