So, as part of my February Painting Challenge
, I said I'd get the last hero (Astarra) from the Crusade of the Forgotten
Hero and Monster collection for Descent
finished. The main reason I chose her? Once finished, I'd have completed the set (and for me, completing anything is a miracle). So I did (complete painting her). I wasn't planning to detail out my work on her like I did Augur
, but as I was working on her I noticed a couple of things and so I took a couple quick shots that I thought I'd share. These are kind of the thing that I typically encounter when working on minis.
First off (at least for Descent), I take a look at the art for the figure(s) to get a sense of the colors and details that might be on the figures. A lot of the monster figure art is a bit similar/bland (at least on the monster cards you get in the game), so there is a fair bit of leeway in deciding on what to do. In those cases, I also look to see what others have done with their paint jobs. Astarra's art is pretty straight forward, but like a lot of figures, the card art doesn't show all the figure (she is mostly cut off from the knees down), so I went looking for other paint jobs, and there just aren't many. Not a huge deal, just thought it was odd that so few folks have painted this figure and posted pictures. At any rate, her card was good enough to get started. I painted her skin in first and then hit her with the tan so I could lay down some yellow. As I was doing that, I realized I had missed some skin. if you look closely at the picture (I circled the offending part), you can see that I painted the back of her leg yellow. I decided I'd finish the yellow and come back to redo the leg.
Again, this kind of thing is typical for me. Once I start filling things in, I realize that something is not quite what I thought it was going to be. Now, I could have left that part of her leg yellow and honestly, nobody would have likely noticed, but I knew, so I had to fix it. Having said that, there are plenty of times I would have it something alone, but this was going to be easy enough to fix that I went ahead and corrected it. The other thing to note - when I was painting the cloth at the top of her boots, I realized there was a little leg band / ornament there. It was a detail I hadn't even noticed until I got there. That happens a fair bit to me too - I get about halfway through painting and have to stop to figure out exactly what it is that I'm painting. It can be cool to suddenly find extra details, but it can be a pain in the butt to realize you have a bunch of extra detail work you have to deal with too.
At any rate I got Astarra done and here she is along with the rest of the Heroes and Monsters - enjoy!