WDYPTW: Cult of the News, May Edition
- Stonemaier Games announced it will publish My Little Scythe, a competitive, family-friendly game for 1-6 players in which each player controls 2 animal miniatures embarking upon an adventure in the Kingdom of Pomme, designed by Hoby Chou with his daughter Vienna.
- Fantasy Flight Games announced X-Wing Second Edition -- the second edition to the best-selling X-Wing Miniatures Game -- featuring refined gameplay that builds on the solid foundation of the first edition.
- Wonder Forge announced The Incredibles: Save the Day.
- Bezier Games announced One Week Ultimate Werewolf, which "takes the exciting gameplay of One Night Ultimate Werewolf and twists it up in a knot, with ever-increasing tension as you venture into the special rooms of Ludwig Castle." One Week Ultimate Werewolf will ship in October.
- Passport Game Studios announced Fleecing Olympus, a new game of dice and clever real-time card play coming to to stores this September.
- Renegade Game Studios announced that it is publishing Circus Puppy, from Doggy Go!, Kitty Paw, and Shiba Inu House designer Aza Chen, in July.
- AEG announced War Chest, an “easy-to-learn, tricky-to-master, elegant battlefield strategy game” for 2-4 players that will be available in July.
- Board&Dice announced Escape Tales: The Awakening, an “engaging card game based on the escape room idea with a great storytelling accent that won’t be limited by the time to finish this adventure, but focuses on the story, exploration, engaging puzzles while making choices that will immerse you deeply,” that is premiering at Essen Spiel.
- Antler Games is adapting the video game Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shoguninto a board game, with a Kickstarter planned for the third quarter of this year.
- IDW announced Batman: The Animated Series - Gotham Under Siege, a 1-5 player cooperative game from Michael Guigliano and Richard Launius that will debut at Gen Con.
- Asmadi Games announced that One Deck Galaxy is the next game in the One Deck series.
- Kids Table Board Gaming announced Wreck Raiders, an innovative dice-drafting worker placement game, coming to Kickstarter in June.
- CMON announced Narcos: The Board Game, based on the Netflix series, scheduled for release in Q4 with an SRP of $54.99.
- Days of Wonder announced Ticket to Ride: New York, for 2-4 players with a playing time of 10-15 minutes, with a $20 MSRP. In the U.S., this title will be available exclusively from the Target retail chain starting in July, but it will also be available for purchase elsewhere in North America and Europe at this time.
- Games Workshop announced Adeptus Titanicus, a new game of giant mech combat, to be released in August.
- Kosmos Games announced Lost Cities: Rivals, a 2-to-4 player game from Reiner Knizia.
- Garphill Games teased The North Sea Epilogues: A Roleplaying Game.
- Maple Games announced that it signed a contract to "remake an awesome Michael Schacht board game."
- Artipia Games announced A Thief's Fortune, a competitive card drafting and engine building game for 1-4 players. The game revolves around a Thief who has just come across a mystical item that allows him to see glimpses of the future. Each player represents a different timeline of that character and through the various choices and actions of each player, separate alternate paths are formed.
- Fantasy Flight announced Cosmic Encounter 42nd Anniversary Edition, which will be released in Q3 of 2018.
- Mindclash Games teases Trickerion: Dahlgaard's Academy, coming to Kickstarter soon.
- Cryptozoic announced DC Deck-Building Game: Rivals - Green Lantern vs. Sinestro, a stand alone set intended for 2 players that is compatible with the earlier Rivals - Batman vs. The Joker set, that will be released in October.
- Ares Games announced the Sword and Sorcery: Darkness Falls campaign expansion for Sword and Sorcery.
- Isaac Shalev said he is working on an expansion for Seikatsu.
- Z-Man Games announced the Cacao: Diamante expansion, which adds four new modules: The Gem Mines, the Tree of Life, the Emperor, and the New Workers.
- Renegade announced Clank! In! Space! Apocalypse!, the first expansion to Clank! In! Space!, which will launch this August.
Release Date Announcements:
- Portal released the Imperial Settlers: We Didn't Start the Fire expansion on May 16, featuring a new mechanism of Conquest, new cards for each faction, new level of interaction.
- Next Move Games announced that pre-orders for its next title, Reef, opened on May 15th. Reef pre-orders from NextMoveGames.com will include a free promotional mini-expansion -- the Kings of the Coral.
- Next Move Games announced Azul Giant -- in which Azul's components have been enlarged by 200% -- is available for pre-order for $299.99. If they are able to secure at least 500 orders by June 22, they will activate the print run. If not, all pre-orders will be cancelled.
Digital Board Game Announcements:
- Artipia released an Among the Stars app from Cublo Games for iOS and Android.
- White Wizard Games announced Star Realms Arena for the Star Realms digital app.
- Asmodee Digital gave an update on Scythe: Digital Edition, including early access in May and Mac OS support in August.
Other Game Tidbits:
- Z-Man Games acquired Love Letter from AEG. Along with distributing remaining inventory from AEG, Z-Man will reprint current versions of Love Letter and Lovecraft Letter.
- Azul, Luxor, and The Mind were nominated for the 2018 Spiel des Jahres award, and Die Quacksalber von Quedlinburg, Ganz schon clever, and Heaven & Ale were nominated for the 2018 Kennerspiel des Jahres award. Pandemic Legacy - Season 2 was awarded the 2018 Sonderpreis.
Other Industry Tidbits:
- Space Goat Productions launched an equity crowdfunding campaign for shares in the company on Wefunder.com. This news comes after failing to deliver Evil Dead 2 and Terminator Kickstarter campaigns, which were estimated to be delivered in 2016 and 2017, respectively, and have not been fulfilled as of time of writing.
- Scythe artist Jakub Rozalski was accused of "tracing" Scythe artwork and posting "fake tutorials" of the artwork in progress. Scythe designer and Stonemaier Games owner Jamey Stegmaier responded to the criticism.
- Asmodee is exploring a sale that could value it at more than $1.7B, according to sources.
- PAX Unplugged announced its dates for 2018. The convention will run from November 30 through December 2 at the Pennsylvania Convention Center. Badges went on sale on May 15.
- Designer Nikki Valens left Fantasy Flight Games after five years.
- Funded: Fireball Island, Homesteaders, Court of the Dead: Mourners Call, The Faceless, Village Pillage, GROWL, Brook City, ENVYRA, Sprawlopolis, Tricky Tides, Lincoln: A Martin Wallace Game, Cosmic Run: Regeneration(relaunch), Penny Lane, Mr. Cabbagehead's Garden, Luxor.
- Launched: Empyreal: Spells & Steam, The Neverland Rescue, Skull Tales: Full Sail!, Journal 29 Revelation, One Week Ultimate Werewolf, On Tour, Nickelodeon's Splat Attack!, Herbaceous Sprouts, The Dice Dungeon, The Seals of Cthulhu, Yokai Septet, Assembly, No Thank You, Evil!, Heroes of Land, Air & Sea: Pestilence, Vast: The Mysterious Manor, Villagers.
- Coldwater Crown: The Sea will be coming to Kickstarter on June 20 and running through July 18.